How Faith Works #11 – Real
For centuries the islands of New Zealand were unpopulated. No human had ever set foot on them. Then the first settlers arrived.
They were Polynesians from other Pacific islands who had sailed a thousand miles in outrigger canoes. The Polynesians came with the purpose of settling in New Zealand.
How did they know the land was there? How did they know they would not simply sail across empty seas until they ran out of food and water and died?
The Polynesians had known for generations that land was there because their voyagers had seen a long white cloud on the distant horizon.
They knew that when a cloud stayed in one place over a very long period of time, land was beneath it. They called New Zealand the Land of the Long White Cloud.
Faith works like that. “And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists. . . .” (Hebrews 11:6). Looking for a God who did not exist would be foolish.
Faith believes that God is real.
• That God is there.
• That God is not silent.
• That God has spoken through his Son, the Lord Jesus Christ.
• That God has revealed himself through the Word of God.
• That God is “the LORD, the LORD, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin” (Exodus 34:6-7).
To believe that God is real is not a projection of our mind. Not a figment of our imagination. Not an “I hope so” desire. Not a blind leap in the dark.
Faith is not mere guesswork or chance or superstition. Faith is based on facts, facts that point to certain conclusions.
To believe God is real is based on a strong foundation:
1. The trustworthy written Word of God.
2. The definitive resurrection of Christ.
3. The authoritative voice of the Church down through the centuries.
4. The consistent experience of millions of Christ followers in many diverse countries and cultures who have declared the same message that “God is alive and Jesus saved me!”
God is real. He reaches out in order to be found.
~ Pastor Dave