Overcomer #8 – Battle Armor
Sometimes we struggle against dark things, spiritual battles, behind the issues and people we see. Victory is assured, but we must use spiritual weapons and must fight to win.
Ephesians 6:13-18 describes our battle armor.
• Put on the full armor of God (13). Take our stand against temptations, spiritual attacks, and spiritual oppositions. Take our position in dependence upon God through prayer. Claim our authority in Christ. Stand our ground, secure in Christ. We will overcome.
• Stand firm wearing the belt of truth (14). Jesus is the truth. God’s Word is truth. Overcome the deception and lies of Satan by holding to the truth.
• Stand firm wearing the body armor of God’s righteousness (14). We are forgiven by God. Accepted by the Father. Protected by Christ’s righteousness. Shielded against Satan’s accusations that we are unforgiven and unworthy.
• Stand firm wearing the shoes of peace (15). As an instrument of peace, walk around living out the God’s good news to people everywhere. Sowing peace, be confident that the God of peace will crush Satan under our feet (Romans 16:20).
• Take up the shield of faith (16). Hold up our shield and be protected from Satan’s pressures, hindrances, and accusations. Cling to our hope in Christ, refuse to believe Satan’s lies, and keep our vision clear.
• Wear salvation as a helmet (17). Affirm that we belong to God and the battalion of all Christ’s followers everywhere. We are saved from destruction, have new life in Christ, and are becoming more like Christ.
• Carry the sword of the Spirit (17). Swing the offensive weapon of the Word of God, communicating God’s message to others, exposing sin and Satan’s deceptions – cutting off Satan’s power, invalidating his authority, and disabling his influence.
• Pray in the Spirit (18). Energized and directed by God’s Spirit, cover everything and everyone with a blanket of fervent, faithful, expectant prayer. Pray continually, seeking God’s glory in all things, at all times, in all ways.
Warren Wiersbe said, “The Christian life is not a playground. It is a battleground.”
Alan Redpath added, “There is no winning without warfare. There is no opportunity without opposition. There is no victory without vigilance.”
~ Pastor Dave