Day 80 – Resting Place
Brother Lawrence reported how a friend described practicing God’s presence: “This person says that the habit is formed by the repetition of acts and by frequently bringing the mind back into God’s presence. He says that as soon as he is free from his occupations, and often even when he is most taken up by them, the recesses of his mind or the innermost depths of his soul are raised with no effort on his part and remain suspended and fixed in God, above all things, as in its center and resting place.”
As we continually center our lives in Jesus and learn his ways, we find rest for our souls (Matthew 11:29).
Habitually practicing God’s presence, busy or at leisure, by faith we know God is there. Through the recesses of our minds and the innermost depths of our beings, we are lifted up and held in God. God himself has found a home within us, and we have found a resting place in God.
Some adapted lines from Albert Simpson describe this inner rest:
Once was anxious trying; now is restful trust.
Once was frenzied planning; now is believing prayer.
Once it was my working; now it’s Christ in me.
Once I tried to use him; now he uses me.
As we practice God’s presence, we keep returning to our rest in God. As Augustine famously said, “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.”
God’s says to you and me: “Be still, and know that I am God” (Psalm 46:10).
• Be still: Let go. Relax your grip. End your struggle. Unclench your fist.
• Be still: Pause. Step back. Let go of panic. Release your anxiety.
• Be still: Quit struggling. Stop fighting. Shut out the noise. Get rid of distractions.
• Be still: Quiet your heart. Cease striving. Quit racing around. Don’t sweat it.
• Be still: Slow down. Recognize my presence and power. Breathe.
• Be still: Let go and trust me.
• Be still: Cultivate my near presence with you always.
We respond: “Yes, my soul, find rest in God; my hope comes from him” (Psalm 62:5).
Action Step: Sit with this phrase for a few moments: I have found a resting place in God.
This is God’s Word for you today,